You don't raise heroes, you raise sons.
And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes.
~ Walter M. Schirra, Sr.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Joshua's Nine Month Pediatric Appointment

I have a PERFECT baby according to the RN and MD. Joshua did amazing with his iron test....they pricked his little finger and took two drops of blood. Joshua didn't even make a peep and actually tried to grab the little vial that they were putting the blood into. They put two little band aids on his finger which he then proceeded to put into his mouth and chew on until the band aid fell off. He crawled all around the exam room and tried to keep the MD out while standing against the door. They tested his Pincer Grasp....with a raisin....which of course Joshua passed with flying colors and even tried to eat good thing the RN is quick. He has advanced motor skills and can clap two blocks together when holding them....which he thought was very funny when he dropped them between his legs....he would do it over and over and just laugh and laugh. He had to show off by walking across the room for the MD, but still refused to show off his new chompers.

His iron test came back while we waited and he is on the low normal side and we need to incorporate more iron rich foods into his diet. So last night for dinner he got a bowl of lentils and rice, which he gobbled up. He needs to take some baby vitamins to help boost his iron...why they can't make that stuff taste like the gummy ones you get when you are a school kid I don't know, but Joshua takes them great right into his mouth....no mixing it in a bottle or into his food.

His weight dropped in the percentiles, but the MD said that is very normal for a breastfed baby. They see the babies chunky to start off and then thin out as they become mobile, which is not the case for formula fed babies. She said that they tend to chunk up fast and stay that way even when they are mobile. This made me feel good knowing that even though I have not always loved breastfeeding Joshua I have done a wonderful job giving him the best start at a life free of adult obesity.

To be safe in this massive season of flu I went ahead and had Joshua get his first flu vaccine. Had to hold his hands because he is a grabber and tried to grab the syringe. No tears or crying for him.

I asked what else I could do to get Joshua to sleep through the night beside not feeding him anymore. The MD stressed naps. I mentioned that I can get Joshua to sleep, but he will wake up with the transition to his crib, and won't sleep unless I hold him. She suggested that if he will sleep while I lay down with him that I should nurse him in bed and have him nap that way. So, after his appointment I was able to get him down for 45 minutes in his playpen and then we both laid down at 3:30 for a 2.5 hour nap. He slept from 9:30pm to 5:00am so maybe the naps are a good thing. I will try the napping in our bed with me for a little bit and then try to transition him back to his crib for naps since I have to stay in bed with him so he won't wake up and crawl off the bed.

Our next appointment will not be until November 23, unless he is sick before then, but I doubt we will be going in before then...he is such a healthy little guy that we've NEVER had to go to the doctor unless it is for his well-baby check-ups.

0 amazing comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...